Wild rice with pistachios and spring vegetables
Spring is finally here! Our bodies may start craving some fresh veggies or salads. Here's a recipe that is not only colorful but that has plenty of protein, fiber and essential minerals that will make you feel great and very satisfied. I got the inspiration for this recipe from My New Roots Cookbook where Sarah Britton shares amazing seasonal recipes! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup wild rice (I used this blend)
- 2 cups green peas
- 1 cup cooked (or canned) chickpeas
- 4 rainbow carrots, julienned
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup fresh dill
- 1/3 cup raw pistachios roughly chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 Tbsp brown mustard
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Rinse, cook and drain the rice beforehand - Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and pour half of the dressing over the rice and fold to coat. Stir the peas, chickpeas, carrots and herbs into the rice.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pistachios until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes (be careful not to burn them!)
- Add the roasted pistachios to the salad. Pour the remaining dressing over and fold to combine - Serve and enjoy!